• Phone: 011 880 8797
  •  011 447 3022
  • Fax: 011 447 6402
  • Mail: clt@kwtdominicans.org
  • Address: St Vincent School for the deaf
  •  158 Oxford Road
  •  Melrose
  •  Johannesburg

History

Chapters of the Book (without images)

afgp introduction РPrologue: Early Dominican Missions in Africa
afgp chapter 1 РCatholicism in S A early 19th Century
afgp chapter 2 РRising to the Challenge
afgp chapter 3¬†– ‘King’ Convent, Motherhouse in King William’s Town
afgp chapter 4 РThe Seventh Frontier War
afgp chapter 5 РGrowth of the Community
afgp chapter 6 РEast London, Early Expansion
afgp chapter 7 РExtended Activities
afgp chapter 8¬†–¬†Natal
afgp chapter 9¬†–¬†Potchefstroom
afgp chapter 10¬†–¬†Klerksdorp
afgp chapter 11 РRhodesia
afgp chapter 12¬†– Izeli, King William’s Town
afgp chapter 13 РMother Mauritia Tiefenboeck
afgp chapter 14 РMater Infirmorum
afgp chapter 15 РGraaff-Reinet
afgp chapter 16 РEast London, Maris Stella
afgp chapter 17 РFort Beaufort
afgp chapter 18 РQueenstown
afgp chapter 19 РSt Immaculata, Schlehdorf and Branches
afgp chapter 20 РCradock
afgp chapter 21 РJohannesburg, Belgravia
afgp chapter 22 РMother Euphemia Koffler
afgp chapter 23 РA Mottled Sky
afgp chapter 24 РTransvaal, Witbank
afgp chapter 25 РN Transvaal, Potgietersrus
afgp chapter 26 РTransvaal, Ermelo
afgp chapter 27 РStutterheim
afgp chapter 28 РSprings, Brakpan, Nigel
afgp chapter 29 РMother Eleonora Petitpierre
afgp chapter 30 РEast London, Cambridge РSt Pius
afgp chapter 31 РEngland, Hinckley, Stoke Golding, Nuneaton
afgp chapter 32 РMother Jacoba Zirn
afgp chapter 33 РJohannesburg, Melrose,  St Vincent School for the Deaf
afgp chapter 34 РJohannesburg, San Salvador
afgp chapter 35 РMother Clare Huber
afgp chapter 36 РHolland, Venlo
afgp chapter 37¬†– Queenstown, St Catherine’s Nursing Home
afgp chapter 38 РUmlamli Mission Hospital
afgp Chapter 39 РEast London, Mater Dei Private Hospital
afgp chapter 40 РQueenstown District РGlen Grey Mission Hospital
afgp chapter 41 РMother Augustine Geisel
afgp chapter 42 РMarydale
Loreto fire
Silver Star and K.C.B.U.
Marian Year
Lourdes Convent
East London¬† – Hill Crescent, St Anne’s
Keiskammahoek
Rustenburg
Zeerust
Peddie
Groblersdal
afgp chapter 43 РIreland: Upton; Bandon; Tralee
afgp chapter 44¬†– Springs, St Mary’s Maternity Home
afgp chapter 45 РWelkom

Part Two – Missionary Endeavour

missionary endeavour 1 РKeilands, Holy Family Mission
missionary endeavour 2 РWoodlands Mission
missionary endeavour 3¬†– King William’s Town, St Joseph’s School
missionary endeavour 4 РEast London, St Francis Xavier Convent
missionary endeavour 5 РCradock, Holy Rosary Convent
missionary endeavour 6 РPotchefstroom, St Louis Bertrand Mission
missionary endeavour 7 and 8¬†– Northern Transvaal, M’Phatlele Clinic and¬†Subiaco Mission
missionary endeavour 9 and 10¬†– Queenstown, St Theresa’s Mission and Fort Beaufort, St Joseph’s Mission
missionary endeavour 11 and 12 РVleeschfontein and Indwe Missions
missionary endeavour 13 and 14¬†– Northern Transvaal, Setali, St Scholastica’s Mission
missionary endeavour 15 РAliwal North, Umhlanga, St Augustine Mission
missionary endeavour 16 РEast London, Duncan Village, St Peter Claver Mission; Sr Aidan Quinlan
missionary endeavour 17 18 19 20 РQueenstown, Lady Frere, Pimville, Kliptown
missionary endeavour 21 22 23 24 25 26¬†– Evaton, St Mary’s Clinic Stutterheim, Payneville, St John’s Convent Middelburg, Zigudu Queenstown, St Patrick’s Ginsburg
missionary endeavour 27 28 29 РSt Thomas College Village Main, Berejena, Matibi
missionary endeavour 30 31 РMarapyane, Ramaanchane, Warmbaths Area
missionary endeavour 32 РLatin America, Bolivia
missionary endeavour 33 РLatin America, Ecuador
History of the Congregation from the book

“All for God’s People”

100 Years¬†– Dominican Sisters, King William’s Town by Sr Mariette Gouws

 
The Convent of Saint Ursula – Augsburg

The Dominicans of the “Congregation of St Catherine of Siena of King William’s Town” stem from the historic Convent of St Ursula, Augsburg, Bavaria, which at the time of its South African foundation already had several daughter houses in Germany. The Augsburg Convent was founded in 1335, at first as a Beguinage by six pious women calling themselves the “Sisters of Voluntary Poverty”. This community was affiliated to the Third Order of St Dominic in 1394. The Sisters spent their time in prayer, pious exercises, lace-making, other needle-work and nursed the sick in their homes. In the 15th century they managed to build a modes convent and a chapel for their own use. In 1516, this humble place of worship was replaced by a magnificent chapel in Baroque style, made possible by contributions from members of nobility as well as from generous friends. At the time of the Reformation there were those who employed ever4y possible means to induce the nuns’ defection from the old Faith, but without success. In 1528 Pope Clement VII sent the Sisters a letter congratulating them on their faithful resistance. It read:… God bless you, beloved daughters in Christ, who have surpassed men in steadfastness and who are in no way behind the other nuns of your Order in your undertakings. From my heart I send my blessing to all your community…” ¬† In 1536 the community was expelled from St Ursula’s by authority of the State under notice to leave within eight hours. They took refuge with the Franciscans at Dillingen: first as guests of those kind nuns, and then in a house put at their disposal by a benefactor. They were allowed to return to their lived home in 1548, but alas, only three of the original ten survived to see Saint Ursula’s again. On their departure from Dillingen six recruits joined them. On reaching Augsburg the community immediately resumed their former occupations. The Thirty-Years’ War (1618-1648) also brought many hardships to this community: heavy taxes, the quartering of soldiers, starvation and deprivation of divine services and the sacraments. After 1635 at the request of their Bishop, the Sisters undertook the education and religious instruction of young girls; but later they relinquished this. Their work of teaching and of visiting the sick became increasingly more difficult owing to the unrest of the times. So in 1695 they passed to a completely contemplative life with strict enclosure and the obligation of reciting the Divine Office. Cloistered from the world and publicly engaged in no active tasks, these Sisters may be regarded with disdain in ages weak in Faith. Yet it is still true that “more things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of.” Tor a whole century this was their peaceful mode of life until its calm was again shattered by the outbreak of the French Revolution in 1799 with its repercussions even in other countries. In 1802 by order of the Government this community of 23 was dissolved and their property confiscated. Each nun was allowed a very small pension, and they were permitted to remain in their convent – but only so long as it might please the Government. In spirit of these trials they maintained to the best of their ability their community life and the Divine Office. They lived in great mutual charity, sharing their inadequate income with those poorer than themselves. King Louis I of Bavaria resolved in 1828 to restore the Religious Orders of women in his realm, provided that the nuns undertook some active work useful to the State. The four surviving members of the community accepted these conditions. In the following year seven novices joined them and the Beguine Dominicans of St Ursula’s began to devote themselves with zeal to the education of youth. Their school flourished and the number of vocations increased rapidly so that they were able to assist in the restoration of other Dominican Convents in Germany. It was at this time too, that new convents were established by them at Donauwoerth, Landsberg, Woerishofen and Wettenhausen. This latter foundation was only 12 years old when the appeal reached Augsburg from Bishop Ricards in South Africa, for a staff of nuns to assist him in his vast vicariate comprising half of the Cape Province. The Bishop had previously applied to the Sisters of the Assumption and to the Dominicans of Cabra, Ireland, but both lacked personnel for this venture.

  • Beguines flourished on the continent of Europe for some centuries. The Cistercians and Premonstratensians stopped the admission of women to their Orders. As there were many vocations, those who were not of noble birth could at best be servants in Abbeys. Thus a priest, Lambert le Geque (d. 1177), founded this semi-religious order for women of humbler birth and means. They promised chastity and obedience to the Mistress or head of the Beguinage while they lived in the community. They could leave again and get married, if they wished. They shared their property and some were engaged in teaching or nursed the sick in their homes. At the Secularization of Church Property during the Reformation most Beguinages were dissolved. Some adopted an approved Religious Rule and remained in community. Those of St Ursula’s became Dominicans under the direction of Bishop Burhard von Ellerbach, 1394. A few Beguinages are still extant in Belgium and Holland.